Monday, April 25, 2011

Hole

I've imported all my former blogs from my former 'The Style Whore... a little more personal' and I intend to use this as my personal blog from here out.



"I might lie a lot, but never in my lyrics" - Courtney Love

Obviously I'm a huge fan of music, like I'm sure most of you are. I'm quite partial to late eighties/early nineties grunge (Nirvana, NIN, Pearl Jam.. you get the picture) and especially Hole - this band, along with Courtney Love's solo endeavors has helped me get through a lot of hard times in my life.



Hole was formed in 1989 in Los Angeles by the one and only Courtney Love. Their first album "Pretty on the Inside" was a commercial hit... followed up by the 'Live Through This' album (check out 'Violet' & 'Doll Parts'). The next album released by Hole "Celebrity Skin" garnered Grammy awards and is no doubt my favorite Hole album to date. The band split in 2002 and during that time Courtney moved on to solo projects releasing her album "America's Sweetheart" in 2004. Another couple years later Hole "re-united" (if you could call it re-uniting, considering Courtney was the only original Hole band member to return for the fourth album) and in September 2010 'Nobody's Daughter' was released.

Her creativity and "I-don't-give-a-fuck" attitude always keep me drawn into her life and her being... I can relate to the words she writes and when I listen to the lyrics of the music I always think "someone out there gets me". And on top of being an inspiration through her lyrics, words and being - she's an inspiration to the fashion world.







Courtney Love for ELLE UK January 2009


Her I'd Rather Go Naked Than Wear Fake Chanel campaign for Harper's Bazaar done with Karl Lagerfeld is one of my absolute favorite spreads featuring Courtney - which was shot after her stylist had selected a knock-off Chanel dress to wear to an awards show (the stylist was promptly fired...)

All in all she's one of my ultimate fashion/music/art inspirations and I like to keep up with all things Courtney through the following sites: What Courtney Wore Today, @courtneyloveuk on twitter and courtney-love.org. I'll leave you with a list of my favorite songs by Hole/Courtney and strongly suggest you take a listen, that is if these albums aren't already in your iTunes library...


Top Hole/Courtney Love songs
1. Teenage Whore - Hole (Pretty On The Inside)
2. Pretty on the Inside - Hole (Pretty On The Inside)
3. Violet - Hole (Live Through This)
4. Doll Parts - Hole (Live Through This)
5. Celebrity Skin - Hole (Celebrity Skin)
6. Malibu - Hole (Celebrity Skin)
7. Dying - Hole (Celebrity Skin)
8. Hold Onto Me - Courtney Love (America's Sweetheart)
9. I'll Do Anything - Courtney Love (America's Sweetheart)
10. Sunset Strip - Courtney Love (America's Sweetheart)
11. Hello - Courtney Love (America's Sweetheart)
12. Skinny Little Bitch - Hole (Nobody's Daughter)
13. For Once in Your Life - Hole (Nobody's Daughter)
14. How Dirty Girls Get Clean - Hole (Nobody's Daughter)



Xo
-Alix Kat

1 comment:

  1. great post. I love courtney. she makes wonderful music
    xx

    ReplyDelete